The military, known for its key elements of loyalty, honor, respect, and gratitude, has a long-standing tradition of giving away challenge coins. This tradition is being followed from before up to now. There are many stories telling about where and how these coins started. Some of the stories are even dated way back during the First World War. Since many stories are believable, determining whether what is the real story is yet to be confirmed.
What Are The Different Names For Challenge Coins?
Since challenge coins have been used in the military for a very long time already, they are also known for having different names. Other names used for these coins are military coins, unit coins, memorial coins, commander’s coins, and squadron’s coins.
What Are The Different Uses Of These Coins?
1. If a soldier reached an important event in his military career, one way to congratulate him in this milestone is to award a challenge coin.
2. A soldier, before he will be deployed on the field, is also awarded a challenge coin. This challenge coin is given to build the soldier’s morale and confidence.
3. Unit leaders are giving away these coins to his soldiers to show that he respects and appreciates them as a member of his troop. If a solder received a challenge coin, then it is expected that he will carry the challenge coin with him at all times. Once he carries the challenge coin with him, he can place the coin inside the pocket of his uniform or he can also wear it around his neck.
How Much Does A Challenge Coin Cost?
Since challenge coins have many uses, they also appear with different designs. They can go as simple coins with inexpensive designs and materials, but they can also be expensive with complicated and intricate designs. There are many expensive coins with engraved precious stones added to the design.
These coins can also be made of different materials. However, most of these coins are made of nickel, copper, silver, and the most expensive ones are made of gold. If a challenge coin is made of gold, then it means that the coin will be given as the highest reward possible.
The Military Coin Challenge
One of the things a challenge coin is popular of is the military coin challenge. Most soldiers are practicing this game and it has become a tradition in the military as well. Since most soldiers who have these coins need to carry them at all times, the military coin challenge can be practiced at all times as well. Once the challenge starts, all soldiers must participate. This challenge is facilitated in order to identify those soldiers who are always carrying their coins and those who are not.
The rules for the military coin challenge are:
1. The challenger must pull out his own challenge coin. He must show it to everyone and should shout, for everyone to hear, that a military coin challenge will commence.
2. Once the military coin challenge started, every soldier who is within the vicinity must present his own challenge coin.
3. If someone does not have his own challenge coin with him during the military coin challenge, he must purchase a round of drinks (which is usually alcoholic beverages) for those participants who were able to show their own coins.
4. If all participants were able to show their own coins, then the challenger, who initiated the challenge, must purchase a round of drinks for everyone.
5. If a person, whether it is the participant or the challenger, refused to purchase a round of drinks, then he will be punished or will be subject for dismissal.